The Beginning of the Parish of St. Augustine

The church of St. Augustine in Valletta started being built on the 7th of January 1765. The architect Anton Cachia was responsible for the plans, while Master Guzeppi Bonnici was responsible for the building Works. The church was blessed by Bishop Vincenzo Labini. The church was consecrated by the Bishop of Gozo, the Augustinian Giovanni Maria Camilleri on the 1st July 1906.

On the 21st January 1968, by means of a pastoral letter of the Archbishop Mons. Michael Gonzi, that was read in all the parishes of Malta and Gozo, it was officially announced that the church of St. Augustine in Valletta had become a Parish. This new parish that originated from that of St. Dominic’s embraces a quarter of the population of Valletta. It started operating as a parish on the 1st February 1968. Father Salv Portelli was chosen as the first parish priest of the new parish that was dedicated to St. Augustine, Bishop.

The titular statue was made in Spain on a model of the sculptor Vincenzo Apap. This was blessed by the father Provincial Egidio Galea on the 21st August 1972.

 

The Work of the Parish Today

Today St. Augustine’s Parish, even if the context and scenarios of when it was founded have changed, is still actively committed to its mission of evangelisation, and in the various other fields that are demanded by the parochial community. 

At a time when the population of Valletta has decreased drastically, the parish is called to be reference point even to people outside Valletta that find in it a community home where they can pray and meet with Jesus and His Word.

The Parish embraces many people, monks, lay persons and pastoral operators who, together with the Parish Priest, assist with the diverse needs of the Parish.



Upcoming Events

There are no up-coming events
© 2019 agostinjani.org. All Rights Reserved.